Sunday, September 25, 2011

Stitch Sampler

In grade 8 we were challenged to create a stitch sampler. We received bonus points for every stitch example we achieved over the 10 or 12 we had to do. I still have my sampler kicking around. I loved to flip through an old hardcover "Reader's Digest COMPLETE GUIDE TO NEEDLEWORK: Embroidery, Needlepoint, Knitting, Applique, Quilting, Patchwork, Macrame, Crochet, Rug-Making, Lacework (WITH COMPLETE ILLUSTRATED INSTRUCTIONS)" I had to google it to find the right title, I'm leaving the capitalization as I found it.  Older copies can occasionally be found in thrift stores and garage sales, it is such a great resource. I see I used the full 6 strands of 6 strand embroidery floss.  I found the fabric in a scrap sewing bin, I remember we had to use a hoop which was sometimes a pain.
 I should take better care of it, but it is my "working reference." If it goes behind glass, I probably won't look at it again.  Besides, its not fine needlework or anything.  I keep it roughly folded with my embroidery stash and I think it is pretty great for grade 8 work.  I'm especially proud of the fact I haven't lost it.
Here's the back, I have no shame.  It is said that embroidery "should" look as good on the back as it does on the front.  I challenge that "should" with a big rude razzberry :^PPPP  Perfect sometimes just doesn't get done, I'm a big fan of "good enough."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a minute to share your thoughts.