Saturday, July 23, 2011

Another online swarm

There is big cricut events in the USA right now involving crafters who use cricut machines, aka "a swarm."  Often there is an organized online swarm with challenges and its online right now.  The organizers post challenges each day.  The theme of this online swarm is "Christmas in July."  I'm sure the theme is picked by people that have had spring & summer.  We've had 23+ days of grey & rain so its an especially tough theme for me after factoring in a late spring.  The challenges are flexible which is nice so many people can interpret the criteria and have some fun.

Chalenge # 1 is to create a scrapbook layout or a card based on a predesigned, pre-chosen template from www.pagemaps.com  The best thing about these templates is there is room for playing around.  It can be reversed or flipped, 4 small elements can be reinterpreted as one large square, elements can be swapped by gender or purpose...  The pagemap just lays out the formula for balance & design so you don't have to stress out, just play around.

I used Dude Lite cartridge for the tread border, the gear, and the splat.  I used Indie Art Cartridge for the cassette tape.  I had trouble with the colour ranges to make the pictures show up on grey winter coloured background paper.  The red really shows contrast while there is room to hand write more details between the tape & the splat.  I grunged up the cassette tape with various inks to make it look more masculine.
Edited to add:  I forgot that I had some making memories brand glitter chipboard accents that perfectly match the truck colour.  I like how it zips it up a bit, not quite girlie but some bling is nice.

Challenge #2 is to create a card, layout, or 3D element in Christmas or winter theme.  I used the card pagemap for a Christmas card. 

  I used the Christmas digital gypsy cartridge for the tree and "Seasons Greetings" on a shadow of green vellum.  The base rectangle is red spotty paper from my stash. Next there is a vellum white polkadots overlay.  The tree, words & snowflake are cut from silver ConTac paper, but on top of their own shadow layer of green vellum.  The sun came out briefly & really surprised me with strong contrast.  I will have to redo these pictures later some time.

 Challenge #3 is to step out of your comfort zone.  
If you are a card maker, make a scrapbook layout.  
If you are a scrapbooker, make a card. 
Use material you've never used before.  
Make a 3D item if you've never made one before.  
Use a tutorial you've been wanting to try.

 I went with the step cards that I've seen everywhere.  Take a 6x12 piece of paper, make score lines on the long side at 2" 4" 6" & 8".  Turn it & make slits 1.5" in and down.  I rushed it or I would have a picture to show, so much simpler than typing all this out.  I accordian folded the base, cut a cover & back at 4"x6" and used a package of pre-made chipboard embellishments a Circle pal gave me, Thanks Jen!

Sometimes its really great to be pushed to try something new and go play.  I can't wait to see what the other challenges are!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a minute to share your thoughts.