Monday, July 25, 2011

The rest of the challenges

To follow up on the last entry, there are 3 more challenges for the online swarm.  I've just finished up & will go back and add another picture to the truck layout from yesterday. I used papers from my stash that are muted looking Christmas inspiring to keep with the theme, Christmas in July.   The light was changing in the evening so the colour isn't accurate on these pictures but it gives the idea so I can enter the contest!

Challenge #4 is to use fibres, ribbon, or twine on a project.  I used Mini Monograms for the stitch slider, then 4 strands of 6 strand green embroidery floss to fill in the stitching.  I used green ribbon for the slider from my stash.  I used Smiley cards digital gypsy cartridge for the smilie dude.  The same sheet of dual sided paper was used for this card.  Smiley dude details were outlined with a plum marker, pink marker, black marker, and a white gelly roll pen by sakura to make the eyes white.  I used my mini stapler to attach the ribbon and base to the card.  Smiley dude was popped up with a piece of cardboard to raise him up.  I left him to slide freely up & down to allow the effect of enthusiastic jumping up & down : )
 Challenge #5 is Simon says 1 or 3.
a.  use 3 score lines
b.  use the colours red, green, gold
c.  make a mini card, gift holder, or mini envelope for journaling.
I chose the matchbook from Fabulous finds cartridge and made little notebooks from scrap paper from the heap of papers that came home at the end of school year.  The matchbook is 7" x 2.75".  Then after scoring, folding, filling with 2.5" wide scrap paper, stapling with the mini stapler it is 3" x 3".  I used a strip of making memories brand textured tape to cover the staples and leftover snowflakes that I cut extra from for challenge 1 (from Christmas gypsy digital download cartridge from ConTac paper).  I used yellow sharpie to make  the snowflake yellow but it didn't show up very well.
 The final challenge, #6 was to make gift tags for packages.  The goal is to inspire people involved in the gift tag swap, I declined that swap.  I chose several from Fabulous Finds gypsy digital download cartridge at 2.5" tall and filled up the mat to cut a bunch.  Why not, they're small and cute.  I rushed the pictures & forgot to add ribbon hang strings, I will use more embroidery floss for that.  The light was changing in the evening so the colour isn't showing accurately.  These are the same papers, just reflecting light differently.
 The above pictures show what they look like scored but not assembled.  The lower picture shows how they look after assembly.  I cut out some tri-fold tags & those are at the top of the lower picture, the one on the left is centre folded, the one on the right is accordion folded.  They're very simple but the intricate paper does all the decorative work, YAY!  The 3 pockets at the bottom have matching tabbed inserts that can be pulled out for secret messages.  The one on the bottom left has 2 inserts pulled out so show how it looks empty.  This makes them re-useable, when the insert is used up, the plain part can be written on.
I wasn't going to join in on the charm swap, but then decided to go for it.  I will have to figure out what image to cut to make 20+ 1.5" charms from shrink plastic following the Christmas or winter theme.  That's due by August 13 so I will show when I get them done.  Its so great to join in and get out of my comfort zone to try some challenges.  I've been rushing through these projects, but I'm so energized from success that its worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a minute to share your thoughts.